I super duper love tofu! I can literally eat a tofu dish every single day. I love how healthy and delicious tofu is! For today, I’m sharing the recipe for Mapo Tofu. It’s a dish I tend to order all the time whenever I dine in a restaurant. I’m just glad that I am able to replicate the dish in my own home 😄
I used firm tofu in this dish but I recommend that you get the soft tofu ones. The original recipe from the Woks of Life has instructions for chili oil but I went ahead and used store-bought chili oil. The finished Mapo Tofu still tasted as good! Maybe I’ll try creating my own chili oil. Let’s see. I’ll share if I do that.
Yield 4 servings
Inspired by The Woks of Life
- 1/4 cup canola/peanut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sichuan peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 250 grams ground pork
- 2 tablespoons spicy bean sauce
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 package soft tofu, cut into cubes
- corn starch mixture (1/4 cup water + 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch, mixed well)
- 1/4 cup chili oil
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat in a wok.
- Add sichuan peppercorns and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger and mix with sichuan peppercorns.
- Add garlic and mix with ginger and sichuan peppercorns. Fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add ground pork and cook until color turns light brown.
- Add spicy bean sauce to the mixture. Mix well.
- Add 2/3 cups of water and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the corn starch mixture. Again, mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add chili oil. Stir into the sauce mixture.
- Add tofu and gently toss into the sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add scallions and stir with the tofu & sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!