I cry 99% of the time when watching movies or TV shows. I guess it’s the empathy in me always at play. But To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before struck me big time. And I’m just glad I watched it at home and not anywhere else where people can see me.
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (2018)
When her secret love letters somehow get mailed to each of her five crushes, Lara Jean finds her quiet high school existence turned upside down.
I’m trying to analyze why watching To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before brought so much emotions in me. It was a feel good movie but after I’ve watched it, I felt so miserable. Was it jealousy? Regret? Envy? Self-pity? Knowing that I’ll never get that kind of happy ending?
I guess there’s a little part of me wanting to feel that kind of genuine romantic love. But then again, I’ve grown to accept that it may not be my destiny. Oh well…
Anyway….. I now understand why the movie is a big hit! We can all relate to it in so many ways! Have we ever kept our feelings to ourselves thinking that we aren’t good enough? Has losing a family member affect our lives so much? Have we ever found ourselves keeping that grief to ourselves knowing that not everyone can understand our situation? How many crushes have we had when we were still young? Have we written or received love letters? Have we been bullied? Did we ever find that one true friend who stuck it out for us? Do we have close relationship with our siblings? Have we loved freely without fear of judgment? Have we trusted anyone 100% with our heart?
I loved every single scene in the movie:
- LJ & Kitty wore the same necklaces all throughout the movie.
- how Peter was so kind despite being the most popular guy in school.
- The way LJ’s dad supported his kids on all aspects in life.
- The way LJ, Margot & Kitty love and support each other as siblings. The way Peter looks at LJ (total swoon).
- The way Josh cared for LJ as a best friend.
- How LJ stayed true to herself and feelings.
- yes, even the scene where Peter set aside the popcorn before his pillow fight with Kitty.
- yakult!! ❤️ Especially when Peter had to drive far just so that LJ have them during their ski trip.
i just have to share my favorite quotes from the movie too!
- “The more people that you let in to your life, the more they can just walk right out.”
- “I don’t want to be with a boy whose heart belongs to somebody else. Just once, I want to be somebody else’s first choice or fake best”
- “Lara Jean, you’re never second best”
There’s just too many things to love about To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before!
It’ll probably be one of the most successful movies that Netflix acquired. I’m just glad that a lot of people raved about it on social media. Coz honestly, I wouldn’t have checked it out if not for the excellent reviews. I might have to get myself a copy of the book to get more of the story!