I took a leave during my birthday week. However, I ended up sleeping most of the time that I worked on renewing my driver’s license two days after my birthday (ultimately means that it’s expired for 2 days). Just thinking about the whole renewal process is stressful already. I can remember the stress, the heat, the long queue from 2 years ago. I dread to experience the same yet again.
Luckily, I got some tips from a friend that it would be best to just renew inside a mall. There are some watch outs: never to go on a payday, not to go during mondays, not in the mornings & definitely not in crowded LTO renewal centers (i.e., Ayala MRT station, Farmer’s Plaza Cubao, Metropoint Mall Pasay).
I decided to write this post because I’m sure that after 3 years, I won’t be able to remember any of this experience. Thus, it would be best to document so that I can refer to this post when I need to renew my driver’s license again in 2016.
One huge lesson that I learned today: ALWAYS renew your license before it expires.
Best time to renew is one month before expiration date.
Plan your Trip.
Find the nearest LTO branch near you.
Here’s a complete list:
- DLRC NE Pacific Mall, Maharlika Hi-way, Cabanatuan City
- DLRC SM Marilao, Bulacan
- OSS SM Mall City, San Fernando, Pampanga
- DLRC SM Clark, SM City Clark Field, Angeles City, Pampanga
- DLRC Sta. Rosa, 3rd Flr., Robinson’s Market, Sta. Rosa, Laguna
- DLRC SM Naga City, Brgy. Triangulo, Naga Cit
- DLRC Bacolod, Robinsons Place, Bacolod City
- DLRC Iloilo, Robinson’s Place, Iloilo City
- DLRC SM Cebu, SM North Reclamation Area, Cebu City
- DLRC Robinson’s Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
- DLRC ICM Tagbilaran City, Bohol
- DLRC Cagayan de Oro City, Limketkai Mall, Lapasan, Cagayan, De Oro City
- DLRC SM City, 2nd Flr., Quimpo Blvd., Davao City
- DLRC NCCC Mall of Tagum, Highway 55, Tagum City
- DLRC SM Manila 5th Flr. SM Manila
- DLRC Araneta, 3F Araneta Square Mall, Caloocan City
- DLRC Ayala MRT Station, Makati City
- DLRC Guadalupe Upper Level, Guadalupe Commercial Complex, Makati City
- DLRC Robinson’s Galeria, Level 1 East Lane Ortigas, Mandaluyong City
- DLRC Tutuban, 2nd Flr Central Mall Bldg, Tutuban Center
- DLRC Metro East, Basement Robinson’s Metro East, Marikina
- DLRC Ever Gotesco, 2/F Gotesco Mall, Commonwealth Ave., Q.C.
- DLRC Robinson’s Place Fairview, 3F Robinson’s, Novaliches, Q.C.
- DLRC Metro Point, 3rd Flr., Metro Point Mall, Pasay City
- DLRC SM Super Center, Grd., Flr., SM Hypermart, Pasig City
- DLRC SM Megamall, G/F SM Megamall B, Mandaluyong City
- DLRC SM North Edsa, G/F SM North Edsa Annex, SM City
- DLRC SM Cubao, 3rd Flr., Farmer’s Mall, Cubao, Quezon City
- DLRC Alabang, Ayala Alabang Town Center, Muntilupa City
Bring the following items to prevent hassle on the driver’s license renewal process:
- Ballpen – There are 1 or 2 pens available at either the medical center or LTO branch. However, if there are a lot of people filling up the forms, then you have to wait for them to finish. If you brought a pen, you can save some waiting time 🙂
- Bottle of water – this is very important because a drug test would require you to fill up a small bottle with your urine. You have to fill up the whole bottle so it would be best to drink lots of water.
- Hand Sanitizer – I can’t stress this enough. Considering that you will be working on submitting your urine, it’s best that you have this with you. Hygiene should be a top priority.
- Driver’s License & Official Receipt – Without this, your driver’s license renewal won’t be processed. If you lost your license, then it’s another process altogether. Better check that you brought all required items before leaving the house.
- Money – Be ready to bring about Php 1,000 to Php 1,200 to be sure. You’ll need to spend money on both medical exam and driver’s renewal fee.
- Book/Gadget – You will spend at least 30 minutes waiting for your medical exam result and driver’s license so it’s best that you make good use of your time. Read a book, check emails, play games, whatever you like 🙂
- Traffic Violation Receipts – If you’ve been apprehended before, then it would be best to bring the proof of payment. You do not want to encounter any problem when you’re in the LTO Express Center.
Medical Exam Center
- Fill out Drug Test Forms (2 pages)
- Proceed to the Cashier and pay for the Medical Exam & Drug Test Fee. You will have to surrender your expired license.
- Submit Urine. Make sure that you have enough capacity to fill up 60ml bottle of urine.
- Proceed to the Medical Doctor to have weight and height taken. The eye exam will be taken at that room as well. Be ready to pay another Php 50 for the computer fee. The personnel told me that this is specific for LTO renewal applicants only.
- Get your picture taken and finger scanned for your records to be stored in the system.
- Wait for the Results. Waiting time is usually 20-40 minutes.
- After obtaining your medical exam and drug test results, you can now proceed to the LTO centre for the Driver’s License Renewal.
- Fill up Driver’s License Application form
- Submit filled up LTO form together with Medical Certificate and Negative Drug Test result from the accredited testing centre at Window 2.
- Pay corresponding fees to the Cashier at Window 1.
- Proceed to Photo taking/signature area at Window 4 to have your picture and signature taken when your name is called. Be sure to smile at the camera 🙂
- Wait for Driver’s License release. It usually takes around 15-30minutes.
- Claim the Driver’s License & Official Receipt at Window 3.
Medical test: Php 100.00
Drug test: Php 300.00
Computer Fee: Php 50.00
LTO License Fee
License Fee: Php 350.00
Computer Fee: Php 67.63
Change of Address Fee (if applicable): Php 100.00
Penalty (if expired): Php 75 (1 day to 1 year)/Php 150 (1 year & 1 day to 2 years)/Php 225 (more than 2 years)
So that’s it! If you go at the right time and at the right LTO express center, you can finish everything in less than an hour. Always remember to renew your license as it will definitely hurt you if MMDA or local police caught you driving without a license. That’s a big no-no. Let’s be law-abiding drivers. We’ll enjoy driving more!
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) Drivers License is valid for three years.