I have been enjoying LTE speeds for over a month now. Thanks to Smart’s iPhone 5 LTE promo, postpaid subscribers of iPhone Plans 999 & 2499 and Unli Data Plans 1500, 2000 & 3000 can automatically use Smart LTE for free until April 30, 2013.
Yes, I’m one of those lucky ones! I’m enjoying every minute of it! How can you not enjoy speeds like 30MBps? It wasn’t even possible before but it’s already a reality right now! Thanks to technology and thanks to Smart for making it possible!
I always smile whenever I see 3G connection move automatically to LTE! The first thing I always do is a speed test. In fact, one of my favorite applications now on my iPhone is Speedtest! I made some tests over the past few weeks and I will share that at the end of this post.
For now, let me talk a bit about Smart’s iPhone 5 LTE promo. I’ve been getting several questions from friends and I think you might have those questions in mind too. So let me share some information based on what I got from social media and from what I experienced so far.
What is LTE?
Long Term Evolution (LTE) is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies.
How to activate LTE on your iPhone 5?
- Update your iOS version to 6.1 by going to your iPhone settings application, go to General –> Software Update –> Download and Install.
- Activate LTE by opening up iPhone settings application, go to General –> Cellular –> Enable LTE
How does LTE compare to 3G connection?
Subscribers of Smart iPhone 5 postpaid plans with unlimited data can get download speeds up to twenty times faster than the usual 3G connection on their device.
Where can we access Smart LTE and how extensive is the coverage?
Enjoy blazing internet speed in over 500 locations nationwide and over 700 partner establishments. Smart is continuously expanding so expect more to come. List of Smart LTE coverage and locations can be found here.
Who gets to avail the Smart iPhone 5 LTE promo?
Smart iPhone 5 users on iPhone Plans 999 & 2499 and Unlidata Plans 1500, 2000, & 3000 can automatically use Smart LTE for free until April 30, 2013.
What happens after April 30?
Smart will be observing data usage behavior of its subscribers during the promo period to determine future plans and pricing. No details yet as of the moment.
How about iPhone 5 units that has been bought from other countries or sources?
You will need to bring it to Smart to check if the handset can be included in provisioning. It’s important to note that the band frequency should be compatible with Smart’s band.
As promised, a series of Speed Tests over the past few weeks using a Smart-powered SIM on an iPhone 5. I’m a very satisfied user! 😀
- Sugarleaf – G/F Medicard Lifestyle Center, 51 Paseo de Roxas corner Sen. Gil Puyat Ave Urdaneta, Makati Philippines
- Army Navy – 74 Jupiter Street, Bgy. Bel-Air, Makati City, Philippines
- Johnny Rockets – G/F Eastwood Mall Veranda, E Rodriguez Jr Ave., Bagumbayan, Quezon City, Philippines
- Smart Jump Center SM Megamall
- Wrong Ramen – Burgos Circle, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City, Philippines