I try to cook as much chicken as possible because I realized I’ve been cooking too much pork the past few months. So this recipe is a chicken dish, Chicken Menudo.
As I write this, I wonder what a Menudo is. Wikipedia says:
Menudo, or pancita is a traditional Mexican soup, made with beef stomach in broth with a red chili pepper base. Usually, hominy, lime, chopped onions, and chopped cilantro are added, as well as crushed oregano and crushed red chili peppers.
I’m not sure if the description fits the dish as I used pineapple juice as broth for the Chicken Menudo. If you followed this recipe, let me know if you like it!
Yield 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded & cubed
- 4 pieces hot dogs, sliced thinly
- 1 piece onion, diced
- 4 pieces garlic, minced
- 1.5 kilos boneless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 400 grams fresh tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 pieces potatoes, cubed
- 2 pieces carrots, cubed
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a wok, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and cook for one minute. Remove from wok and set aside
- Add hot dogs into the wok and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add oil to the wok and add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until color turns light brown.
- Add soy sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add pineapple juice and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine ingredients and bring it to a boil.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Lower heat and cover the wok. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and raisins and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and hot dogs and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!