Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice is extremely popular in Taiwan. During our trip last May in Taiwan, we made sure we try it there! I couldn’t forget how delicious the braised pork was that I want to make sure that I learn how to make it!
Luckily, my first attempt was a success! It’s just a bit of a hassle making it though as there are so much preparation needed to cook the Taiwanese Braised Pork. But boy, it’s all worth it especially after you have sampled the dish. There was a lot of sauce left on the pot and I wish I put more. I realized that the photos I have in this post doesn’t justify the deliciousness of the dish. If you love the Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice then try out this recipe! I guarantee it’s as close as you can get!
Taiwanese Braised Pork with Rice
Yield 6 servings
- 10 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 kilo pork belly, cut into very small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons rock sugar
- 1 cup shallots, minced then fried
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Boil shiitake mushrooms in 1.2 liters of water for 20 minutes.
- Take out shiitake mushrooms and slice into small cubes. Set aside the sliced shiitake mushrooms and the water (1 liter) used in boiling the shiitake mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, star anise and cinnamon stick. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add pork belly and cook until pork turns light brown in color.
- Add the 1-liter mushroom broth (from earlier), shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, five spice powder, rock sugar and fried shallots.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stirring as much as you can during this time.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and simmer for another 30 minutes. Stirring again frequently.
- Add rice into a serving bowl. Place braised pork, hard boiled egg and fresh cilantro leaves on top.
- Serve and enjoy!