I tend to cook at least 1 soup dish every week and that is because I’m on soft food diet. Since I was going on Korean route tonight, I cooked Kimchi Soup.
I hope to cook Kimchi stew next but I’m delaying that until I get all the easy dishes cooked 😜 The secret to the Kimchi Soup is the Kimchi. You have to make sure to get a good one as most of the flavor of the soup is based on how the kimchi was prepared. I used firm tofu in this dish but I believe the soft ones suit the Kimchi Soup better. Anyhow, still successful! Also, the smaller the cut of the pork belly the better.
Yield 4 servings
- 2 cups kimchi with juice
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 1/4 kilo pork belly, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1 400g pack tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 stalks leeks
- In a large pot, cook kimchi, gochujang, pork and sugar over high heat.
- add water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add tofu and lower heat to medium. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add leeks and mix the ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy! Best eaten with plain white rice.