The second chicken dish I cooked up today is Chicken Tinola. It’s funny that the dining table is full of chicken dishes. Yesterday, it was full of pork! Seems like I have a protein theme this weekend. Anyhow, I want to make sure that we have both a soup and a main in our meal so that’s where the balance is 😛
We only have chicken thighs in the fridge but usually for chicken tinola, cooks put both thighs and legs. I’ll do that next time. For now, chicken thighs is sufficient.
Yield 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece onion, minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 kilo chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- chicken stock (2 chicken cubes + 1.5 liters water)
- 2 pieces sayote, cut into large cubes
- 1 bunch chili leaves
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- fish sauce, salt & ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add garlic, onions and ginger. Saute till onions are translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until chicken are fully cooked.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add sayote and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add chili leaves & spinach leaves, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season with black ground pepper, salt & fish sauce to taste.