I just finished watching all thirteen episodes of 13 Reasons Why by Netflix. In all honesty, it still affects me big time! The series is so dark that it consumes you. Don’t get me wrong, 13 Reasons Why is a damn good TV series. One of the best I’ve seen actually.
13 Reasons Why is rightly titled as it describes 13 reasons why a teenage girl killed herself. All 13 reasons audio recorded in cassette tapes, one tape for each reason. Every reason points to one person who’s accountable in the troubles of a teenage girl named Hannah Baker.
13 Reasons Why (2017)
After a teenage girl’s perplexing suicide, a classmate receives a series of tapes that unravel the mystery of her tragic choice.
The TV series 13 Reasons Why is a dark one and it’s not for faint-hearted. Every single cast, every single scene and every single episode were just perfect. I felt as though I knew Hannah Baker while I watched the episodes. Each episode runs one cassette tape where Hannah Baker narrates her troubles, her thoughts and her life. It felt so real that I felt pain, betrayal, happiness, sadness and defeat just like her while watching 13 Reasons Why.
While the TV series is based on a book, I think it really happens in real life. Some had the worst experience in school with bullies around, friends betraying you, unrequited love, etc. If someone in that dark state don’t get help they need, they might take their own life. It is a good reminder that if there is someone we know who seeks help, we should treat them with love, care and empathy. We never know that we might be saving someone’s life.
I intend to read the book because I’m curious what happened in the end. I’m pretty sure Netflix will create a season 2 for 13 Reasons Why considering it’s success.
*** Spoilers ahead ***
I want to summarize what I just watched so that I can review here in case season 2 comes out. I wouldn’t have time to watch all 13 episodes again. So I intend to just come back to this post when I need some information on season 1 of 13 Reasons Why.
- Justin Foley – Hannah Baker’s first kiss and the one who spread false rumor and revealing picture that ruined Hannah’s image in the campus.
- Jessica Davis – lost friendship due to a misunderstanding about a boy.
- Alex Standall – innocently putting Hannah Baker as having the best ass in school to make Jessica jealous.
- Tyler Down – stalking Hannah and spreading kissing photo of Hannah with another girl in school.
- Courtney Crimsen – for using Hannah to save her image in school and oh, for being such an awful friend. Courtney is one of the two characters I hate the most in 13 Reasons Why.
- Marcus Cole – for humiliating Hannah on their valentine’s date.
- Zach Dempsey – for breaking Hannah’s spirit by not standing up for her when she’s clearly going through a tough time.
- Ryan Shaver – for publishing Hannah’s personal poem in the school newspaper without her permission.
- Justin Foley – became a subject for the 2nd time. This time for allowing Bryce to rape his girlfriend Jessica.
- Sheri Holland – for not doing the right thing of calling 911 when she accidentally bumped a critical stop road signage which caused the death of another student.
- Clay Jensen – for following Hannah’s order of leaving her alone in the room when deep inside, she didn’t want Clay to leave her. Hannah made it clear that Clay doesn’t deserve to be in the tapes but he needed to be mentioned to make Hannah’s story complete.
- Bryce Walker – for raping Hannah Walker in one of his parties.
- Mr. Porter – for not giving the right help when Hannah entered the counseling office clearly looking for help.
Thank you to the creators for bringing in such a powerful TV series. Looking forward to season 2. I’m off to get my hands on the book now by Jay Asher.
P.S. 13 Reasons Why is originally planned to be a movie with Selena Gomez as the main star. Selena Gomez ended up being one of the executive producers and 13 Reasons Why being created for TV instead. Good choice BTW!